The Castle was built by Mitchell and Margaret Henry from 1867 to 1871. Tradition has it that the couple visited Connemara while on their honeymoon and were enchanted by the beauty of the landscape. It was the couple’s wish someday to own a home there and it is said that during those visits, the Henry’s rented Kylemore Lodge, the original building on the site where they later built Kylemore Castle.
In 1903, Mitchell sold Kylemore Castle to the Duke and Duchess of Manchester. They lived a lavish lifestyle financed by the Duchess’ wealthy father, the American businessman, Eugene Zimmerman.
The Duke and Duchess of Manchester spent only a few years at the castle. The property was heavily mortgaged and on the death of Eugene Zimmerman in 1914, the Castle was taken over by Ernest Fawke, a London banker, who installed a caretaker and land agent until a buyer was found 7 years later.
In 1920, The Irish Benedictine Nuns purchased Kylemore Castle along with 10,000 acres for a little over £45,000. Some of the lands were later purchased by the Land Commission and divided out among the tenants, and the Castle was converted into an Abbey.
At Kylemore, the nuns opened an international boarding school and established a day school for local girls. They also ran a farm and guesthouse; the guesthouse was closed after a devastating fire in 1959. Kylemore is still home to the community of nuns of the Benedictine Order and have restored the Abbey, Gothic Church and Victorian Walled Garden to their former glory.
The entire area is surrounded by pink rhododendrons that were in full bloom! Gorgeous!
Moss growing on everything!
The abbey