Took a ride to Hancock Beach in Chilmark and not only did we explore the shore but the long sandy road to get there was filled with treasures!
Wild lilies. The fields were covered in these endangered flowers. Can't pick them but I sure can photograph them!
Wild berries. Blackberries were everywhere. The field had been burned in the past few years so they were fairly low to the ground.
Huckleberries were everywhere and some of the biggest I have ever seen. I remember as a kid my mom waking me up when the sun came up and we'd go berry picking so she could make us fresh huckleberry muffins for breakfast. At the time it was not exactly my idea of fun but looking back now it's a nice memory.
My nephew and niece exploring the water line. The water looked inviting but it's always a bit cold on the South Shore!
The seagulls are particularly brazen here. I've seen them poke into peoples bags and pull out sandwiches and off they go!
On the other side of the dunes is the pond that is stocked with crabs. They kids spotted a number of them so we'll be going back with our nets and buckets for a crab feast!
The marsh mallows don't usually make an appearance until late August but a couple were already in bloom!
No comments:
Post a Comment